A win in final hurling league game, against Clyda Rovers -Div 1

A win in final hurling league game, against Clyda Rovers -Div 1

home / news / A win in final hurling league game, against Clyda Rovers -Div 1

A win in final hurling league game, against Clyda Rovers -Div 1

June 16, 2024

Killavullen travelled to Mourne Abbey this morning knowing that nothing short of a win was essential for their league aspirations, in what is all very tight at the top of the ultra-competitive Avondhu Division 1 hurling league.  A hard pitch was compensated for, by being lined and flagged, and had a good covering of grass.

Clyda opened the scoring from midfield, but Jamie Magner equalised for us, quickly from a free. We got a lovely point from distance from Darragh O Grady but Clyda took the lead when a high centre in towards our goals, was flicked on expertly into the net by Chris Buckley, in their full forward line. Clyda were more than up for this game, despite nothing been on the line for them, and they tacked on 3 points in quick succession to open up a commanding lead. We lost Darragh to a blood injury to his hand that necessitates stitches and Sean Palmer was utilised from the bench. Jamie scored another free for us, but Clyda scored their fifth point in the 12th minute. Clyda had been the better team in the opening period, reacting quickest to the breaking ball, and bursting through from midfield. Colm O Mahony got a good point back for us, and added another, after a great catch in the 16th minute. Jamie scored another point, and gradually our workhorses in the middle of the field, Liam Fox, and the returning Michael Cagney powered into the game. Liam Cronin was immense, the best on the field but while he deserves isolation, the back line as a whole worked cohesively, and were strong together.   Better midfield play meant better ball into the forwards and Eddie Cotter was out in front of his man, and scored tidily. Jamie Magner got two converted frees in quick succession, and we were level as halftime approached. Our full forward line of Seamus, Eddie and Kian Lane won a dirty ball, and Eddie released Kian in on goals, he finished coolly to the net, but was injured in the art of scoring, and took no further part in the game.  His opponent defender received a yellow card for his misdemeanour. The result was that Killavullen went in leading at the break, 1-09 to 1-06.

The referee blew the whistle to signal the interval and to allow Kian received treatment for his head injury. He was replaced for the second half by Conor Griffin, and Sean stayed on permanently for Darragh.

Clyda got the opening point of the second period, from play, and we lost Seamus O Mahony to an ankle injury. Paul O Sullivan scored a nice point from distance for us, but Clyda scored a point back from a free. Jamie caught a great ball from the air, and wrestled free of close pursuers  to send a great point over the bar. Jamie then scored two more frees after Conor Griffin was fouled, and Sean Palmer earned another free, from a chop. In between these two frees, Clyda scored two from open play, when we lost our shape somewhat. With the score at 1-13 to 1-10 , Charlie Cremin made two fantastic saves, the first was brilliant, but how he clamoured to his feet and blocked the second was what had people mesmerized.  Killavullen survived with the goal line intact and the stark reality of the enormity of the saves was illustrated in the next Killavullen attack, when Eddie Cotter, drove it on goals, and his bullet like shot, clipped a defenders hurley and gave Conor Roche in goals for Clyda no chance.  Big swing in a tight game. Killavullen now were in ascendancy, and Jamie scored another free, and the dye was cast when Colm O Mahony gathered a high ball, and used his strength to wrestle free for long enough to get away his shot that finished to the net. Jamie again scored another free, and Liam Fox, rifled over our last score from distance. Rory Regan was sprung from the bench, for the ailing Eddie after a great shift. Clyda got a goal back from a powerful shot from a close in free, and nearly reduced the margin further, with time up, as a powerful shot came back off the crossbar. Peter Watson, the referee signalled the final whistle, and Killavullen had won out, on a score of 3-16 to 2-10.

Final Score; Killavullen 3-16, Clyda Rovers 2-10

The team was

  1. Charlie Cremin
  2. Fionn Magner
  3. Eoghan Buckley
  4. Paul O Sullivan (0-01)
  5. Charlie Lillis
  6. Liam Cronin
  7. Brian Cotter
  8. Liam Fox (0-01)
  9. Michael Cagney
  10. Colm O Mahony (1-02)
  11. Jamie Magner (0-10, 0-07F)
  12. Darragh O Grady (0-01)
  13. Seamus O Mahony
  14. Eddie Cotter (1-01)
  15. Kian Lane (1-00)


  1. Sean Palmer for Darragh O Grady – injured
  2. Conor Griffin for Kian Lane – Injured
  3. Colin Carey for Seamus O Mahoney – injured
  4. Rory Regan for Eddie Cotter

What ever happen now in a league final or playoff, Killavullen would have been well pleased with a fine league campaign, in which the depth of their squad was illustrated by finding replacements for players with injuries, holidays, exams, and other commitments.

© Copyright - Killavullen GAA. All Rights reserved Website by Sportlomo