A win in the Semi Final to set up a league final date.

A win in the Semi Final to set up a league final date.

home / news / A win in the Semi Final to set up a league final date.

A win in the Semi Final to set up a league final date.

June 12, 2022

Killavullen overcame a stuttering start, and recent form between these two teams, in this Avondhu Division 1 Football Semi Final to advance to the final, after a fine, feisty game of football played out, in Shanballymore, last Sunday night.


Buttevant opening the scoring in the second minute of the game and scored a good goal from the impressive Diarmuid Dooley, now playing his club football outfield, and he previously a high-class goalkeeper to race into a quick fire lead. Particularly down the left side, Buttevant looked very lively and dangerous, and Mark Linehan scored a long range point in the 8th minute to push out the margin further. Killavullen rallied though, typified by the tenacious play of Joe Cagney in the corner back berth, who though given several inches in height and years of experience to his opponent, never gave his man room or space to turn him. We got a nice point from play from Mikey O Connor, in the 10th minute but Buttevant cancelled out that score in a quick fire manner. Liam Cronin scored a very good long range point, from a free against the wind, only for Mark Linehan to catch a disputed inside mark, and scored from the resultant kick. Buttevant scored again in the 15th minute to have a commanding lead 1-05 to 0-01 after the mid-way point of the opening half. Killavullen grew more into the game, and Liam Cronin lead the fight back. He scored another more than reasonable point from a free in the 17th minute, and though we missed a score-able close in free, by Jamie Magner at our next opportunity, the same player could not be faulted for his determination to atone. We got a lovely intricate point from Eddie Cotter in the 22nd minute and the game became a stellar contest when Colm Looney stripped his man of possession out by the sideline, and raced in on goals. His bullet like shot cannoned off the crossbar but his brother, Padraig was on hand to catch the rebound, and coolly slot into the net. Jamie scored another free, that he created himself, and suddenly by the 25th minute, and playing against the win, we were on a co-score situation. Buttevant took the slenderest of leads into the interval with a free, just before the break, that was converted from a considerable distance out. 1-06 to 1-05 at the interval.

Killavullen opening the scoring in the second half, from a close in shot from Jamie after Colm Looney’s effort on goal had initially been blocked down.  At the other end, our goal was kept intact by a fine save by our custodian James, and Buttevant did not capitalise on the resultant 45 metre shot. Buttevant did score next though, another point but we took the lead when Padraig Looney gathered a ball out on the wing, and he went on a mazy run, that seemed destined to end with nothing, until he fired an unstoppable shot into the top left hand side of the net. Darragh O Grady was introduced for Billy Norris, and Michael O Neill, scored an impressive free for Buttevant to bring the margin down to a single point.  The referee then issued a straight red to a Buttevant player, and Killavullen seemed to grow in belief that they could upset the odds and win this game. Padraig scored another point from play in the 20th minute, and converted a free after Brian Cotter was fouled, and then another free after great play from Cian O Connor, to set up Eddie Cotter. Eddie was fouled and Padraig converted.  Buttevant were forced to chase the game now, and this left gaps at the back. Padraig took possession of a booming kick out by James, that evaded all, in midfield thanks to the hard work of Mikey O Connor, and through on goals, Padraig fisted the ball over the bar.

Buttevant got another point back, in their valiant effort to try and engineer a goal, but the Killavullen backs were tenaciously tackling and swarming the man in possession, often resulting in a numerical overload for us, and that takes an incredible amount of work to achieve. Gary Lane was introduced for Mikey O Connor, and he was instrumental in running hard late on in the game, and off-loading to Jamie who slotted over the final point of the game.

 Final Score. Buttevant 1-09; Killavullen 2-11

  1. James Angland
  2. Joe Cagney
  3. Fionn Magner
  4. Patrick Angland
  5. Brian Cotter
  6. Liam Cronin (0-02F)
  7. Cian O Connor
  8. Mikey O Connor (0-01)
  9. Liam Fox
  10. Eddie Cotter (0-01)
  11. Jamie Magner (0-03, 0-01F)
  12. Billy Norris
  13. Colm Looney
  14. Padraig Looney (2-04, 0-02 F)
  15. Kian Lane


  1. Darragh O Grady for Billy Norris
  2. Gary Lane for Mikey O Connor

Killavullen await the victors of Charleville and Ballyclough in the final, which is earmarked for the 21st of June. The game last Sunday night certainly wetted the appetite for when these two teams, Killavullen and Buttevant meet in the championship in July.

© Copyright - Killavullen GAA. All Rights reserved Website by Sportlomo