Return to Championship Action for our u17’s

Return to Championship Action for our u17’s

home / news / Return to Championship Action for our u17’s

Return to Championship Action for our u17’s

September 13, 2021

The u17 Division One Championship resumed Wednesday night in what was wet and gloomy conditions in Fermoy. Killavullen took on the home team in a terrific match-up from start to finish.

Killavullen showed early signs of control with the majority of ball possession taking place in the Fermoy back line. Killavullen were awarded for their pressure with two points from the midfield pairing of Colm O Mahony and Jamie Magner. However, Fermoy showed incredible pace in their counter-attacks, one of which led to a ball which escaped over the heads of the Killavullen full back line allowing the Fermoy corner forward an open shot on goal, which he finished well. This lifted the spirits of the Fermoy players who were able to secure two more points from play before the water break. Killavullen 0-2, Fermoy 1-2.

The second quarter saw both teams defensive displays come to the forefront. For Killavullen, Cork minor Patrick O Grady conducted the play masterfully from centre back. The full back line of Ferghal Hogan, Donal Cronin and Dan Cronin saw off any goal threats that presented themselves in this period. Killavullen’s only score of this quarter came from Kian Lane, who had a massive night at wing forward showing the dangers a player with pace can cause. Fermoy were also kept to one score which they gained just before the half time break. Killavullen 0-3, Fermoy 1-3.

The third quarter saw a continuation of high action but low scoring. Killavullen introduced Chris O Callaghan for Stephen Rea, who gave everything for his forty-five minutes on the field. Although Killavullen pressed hard at the Fermoy defence through sources such as Barry Cotter and Eoghan O Hanlon, Fermoy stayed sturdy at the back, with Killavullen’s only score again coming from Kian Lane this time from a free. Fermoy likewise were kept quiet by the Killavullen defence, only accumulating two points similarly from free kicks. Killavullen 0-4, Fermoy 1-5.

With fifteen minutes left in what is an important game for both sides’ futures in this competition. It was Killavullen who came out the gates swinging. Both Evan Magner and Owen Magner were introduced, both having a massive impact in this closing period. This was no more evident than a loose ball in the Fermoy full back line falling to the foot of substitute Evan Magner who riffled the ball off the ground leaving the keeper with an unstoppable shot. This was the beginning of an onslaught by the Killavullen forwards as the scores became to fly over and the Fermoy lead quickly diminished. Points came from the outstanding Colm O Mahony as well as Rory Regan and Kian Lane. Once Killavullen gained their lead they showed great heart and fight to keep it, and they were rewarded for their efforts. Killavullen 1-9, Fermoy 1-6.

1.Niall Murray

2.Dan Cronin

3.Donal Cronin

4.Ferghal Hogan

5.Eoghan O Hanlon

6.Patrick O Grady

7.Joe Cagney

8.Jamie Magner (0-1)

9.Colm O Mahony (0-3)

10.Kian Lane (0-4)

11.Ian O Mahony

12.Barry Cotter

13.Oisin Larkin

14.Rory Regan (0-1)

15.Stephen Rea


17.Colm Hannon

18.Adam Lillis

19.James Lyons

20.Owen Magner

21.Luke Carey

22.Darragh O Connor

24.Evan Magner (1-0)

© Copyright - Killavullen GAA. All Rights reserved Website by Sportlomo