Storm Ciara decisive but Buttevant advance in U21 Championship

Storm Ciara decisive but Buttevant advance in U21 Championship

home / news / Storm Ciara decisive but Buttevant advance in U21 Championship

Storm Ciara decisive but Buttevant advance in U21 Championship

February 08, 2020

Storm Ciara was the deciding factor is this entertaining U21 2nd Round football championship game played earlier today in Castletownroche  when Buttevant prevailed by 3 points in the end, after a game played in dire conditions. In truth, Buttevant were less wasteful and that was the deciding factor to allow them to prevail.

Killavullen played with the tricky wind in the 1st period but were extremely wasteful and spurned a good goal chance  in the 12th minute but to fair to both teams, it was desperately hard to judge the flight of the ball, in the gusting windy conditions. We opened the scoring in the 14th minute when Eoin Birchill scored. Padraig Looney scored a nice point from a free after Jack O Connor had been fouled in the 20th minute. Buttevant in a rare foray forward scored in the 22nd minute but Colm Looney scored a great goal in the 26th minute, finishing with a shot from the ground into the corner of the net, off the stanchion of the post. Buttevant got a point back before the break to leave the score at the short whistle, 1-02 to 0-02. Killavullen were profligate in front of goals and had six wides in that period, as against only one for Buttevant.

Playing with the wind in the second period, Buttevant became more dominant in the middle of the field but good defending from Killavullen backs kept them at bay until the 10th minute when the influential Mark Linehan scored a point in the 10th minute, and repeated the trick in the 13th minute. The introduced Conor Hanlon for Buttevant was very important for their victory and he was unlucky to see a fine shot crash off the underside of the crossbar but somehow stayed off. Buttevant drew level with a free and took the lead momentarily but Padraig Looney equalised for us in the 18th minute. Jack O Connor seized on a stray hand pass from the Buttevant keeper to eke out a narrow lead for us again, by the 19th minute. Conor Hanlon equalised for Buttevant but Eddie Cotter put us back in the lead again in the 23rd minute.

Buttevant finished strongly though, and equalised from a free in the 25th minute. We were lucky to survive a one on one with Cian, but our goalie advanced quick and well off his line, and the shot fizzled wide. Buttevant took the lead with a pointed free in the 28th minute and then extended their lead with another point. Killavullen could not gather the ball though and Buttevant scored a free at the death from distance from their goalkeeper, with the Killavullen connection, his mother being from our parish.

  1. Cian Lankford
  2. Conor Griffin
  3. Fionn Magner
  4. Padraig Cronin
  5. Brian Cotter
  6. Ronan Barry
  7. Eddie Cotter (0-01)
  8. Eoghan Buckley
  9. Mickey O Connor
  10. Colm Looney (1-00)
  11. Jack O Connor (0-01)
  12. Sean Woulfe
  13. Eoin Birchill (0-01)
  14. Padraig Looney (0-02)
  15. Mark Nagle


  1. Noah Butler for Sean Woulfe
  2. Michael Cagney for Mark Nagle
© Copyright - Killavullen GAA. All Rights reserved Website by Sportlomo