League and Championship double for fine U16 team

League and Championship double for fine U16 team

home / news / League and Championship double for fine U16 team

League and Championship double for fine U16 team

September 08, 2019

Killavullen won out the U16 Hurling Division 2 championship earlier today in Kildorrery on a final score of 4-16 to 2-16, against Ballycastle Gaels.  With this being the 3rd meeting already this year between the teams, they know each other infinitely well, and it is a credit to the Ballycastle that their team improved remarkably so, since the last meeting so today final was an altogether much more even affair, than the league final, when the margin of victory was significantly more.

Ballycastle got the opening two scores of the game in the 1st and 5th minute but we took the lead when the impressive Jamie Magner goaled after 8 minutes. Ballycastle retaliated and gained parity before Shane Walsh brought a fine save from the Ballycastle goal keeper. Jamie pushed us ahead in the 16th minute with a lovely point from play, and the same player gave us a bigger leading margin with a converted free in the 20th minute.  The Killavullen half forward line was worked very hard and got their just rewards when Seamus O Mahony, very good on the night, got a goal for us in the 22nd minute, when his shot evaded a multitude of players in a crowded small parallelogram.  Ballycastle got a point back from their excellent free taker, Dan Roche but Jamie cancelled out that score from play, and eked out another point from a free in the 27th minute. Ballycastle got another point back, but from the puck out, Seamus won the ball, and fed it to Michael Walsh, who then turned his man, and finished to the net to open up a decisive lead, 3-04 to 0-05 at this stage. Jamie got the next point for us, to extend our lead but Ballycastle hit back with two scores of their own, before the break to leave the score at 3-05 to 0-07 at the break.

After the short reprieve for half time, Ballycastle got two further points from two carelessly conceded frees in the first two minutes. Patrick O Grady, now on the edge of the square was fouled and Jamie scored again for us. Ronan Barry, our centre back was next to pop up with a score for us in the 5th minute, followed by the hard working and industrious Michael Cagney to push out our advantage 3-08 to 0-09.  We added to the tally with a delightful point from Sean Palmer before Dan Roche got their 10th point for Ballycastle.  Jamie cancelled out that score with a converted free but Ballycastle hit back with two scores in a row to bring their tally to 0-12. Our very hard working team captain Conor Griffin who certainly put himself about, got a point for us in the 15th minute to bring our tally to 3-15. Jamie scored the next free we got when Shane Walsh had worked hard to earn the free but Ballycastle gave themselves a lifeline with a goal in reply. Again we worked the ball to the inside forward line where Patrick O Grady was causing mayhem and we earned a free that Jamie converted. We got the next point from play, from Jamie after Sean Bartley and Kian Lane had done well to stop a Ballycastle attack, but Ballycastle brought their tally to 1-13 with another converted free.

Patrick O Grady scored a delightful 4th goal for us in the 22nd minute after evading some tough tackles but Ballycastle replied with a similar score from a free, about 25 metres out. It evaded all in the goals to give them renewed hope. Jamie responded with a converted free after the introduced Oisin Larkin was fouled and Seamus O Mahony capped a fine hours work with another score to bring our tally to 4-16. Ballycastle never let up and James in our goals had to be alert to tip one shot over the bar, and they forced two further scores but our full back line, with the impressive Chris O Callaghan and ably supported by Conor Breenan and Joe Cagney kept the ball out in front of them, and we were victorious at the final whistle.

The final score was 4-16 to 2-16 in our favour.

Afterwards, the cup was presented to our captain, Conor Griffin, who did the necessary’s , thanked his coaches, the game opposition in Ballycastle and the excellent state of Kildorrery pitch which was a joy to play on. Conor also thanked the referee on the day, who was so good, he was anonymous.  Firm, fair, decisive, and his praise was well merited.

The team was;

  1. James O Keeffe
  2. Joe Cagney
  3. Chris O Callaghan
  4. Conor Brennan
  5. Sean Palmer (0-01)
  6. Ronan Barry (0-01)
  7. Sean Barthly
  8. Kian Lane
  9. Michael Cagney (0-01)
  10. Seamus O Mahony (1-01)
  11. Conor Griffin (0-01)
  12. Patrick O Grady (1-00)
  13. Shane Walsh
  14. Jamie Magner (1-11, 0-07F)
  15. Michael Walsh (1-00)


Oisin Larkin for Michael Walsh

© Copyright - Killavullen GAA. All Rights reserved Website by Sportlomo